Vighnesh Walavalkar, M.D.
- Assistant Professor
- M.D. - Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, India
- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Residency - UC Irvine Medical Center
- Surgical Pathology Fellowship - UMASS Memorial Medical Center
- Cytopathology Fellowship - UMASS Memorial Medical Center
- Renal Pathology Fellowship - UC San Francisco Medical Center
- Board Certifications: Anatomic Pathology, Clinical Pathology, Cytopathology
- Clinical Specialties: Renal Pathology, Cytopathology, Surgical Pathology
Medical student, resident and fellow education; native kidney diseases and renal transplantation; ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration cytology; breast cancer.
Dr. Walavalkar completed his medical school and medicine internship training in India. After his pathology residency, where he also served as chief resident; he went on to complete fellowships in Surgical Pathology with an emphasis on Breast Pathology, Cytopathology focusing on Ultrasound-guided FNA and Renal Pathology studying medical diseases of the kidney and renal transplantation. Dr. Walavalkar joined the Department of Pathology in 2016.
UC San Diego Renal Pathology provides light, immunofluorescence and electron microscopy interpretation of native kidney and renal transplant biopsies. We provide same day preliminary results and renal biopsy kits are available free of charge for shipping tissue to us.
For initial consultation or second opinion on renal pathology cases, please send slides or tissue to:
Department of Pathology,
UC San Diego
200 W. Arbor Drive 2-305
San Diego, CA 92103
Phone: (619) 543-5327
Fax: (619) 543-5249
For additional information on the renal pathology services provided at UC San Diego, please contact Dr. Walavalkar directly at:
Office: (619) 543-8084
Section 'Sub' Navigation:
Page 'Breadcrumb' Navigation: