Nigel Calcutt, Ph.D.
- B.Sc. - Zoology (first class honors), Nottingham University 1985
- Ph.D. - Physiology and Pharmacology, Nottingham University, 1988
My research is focused on mechanisms of peripheral nerve disease and the identification of new therapeutic approaches to prevent onset of neuropathy or alleviate symptoms of an existing neuropathy such as sensory loss or pain. Most students and Fellows in my laboratory work on cellular and animal models of diabetic neuropathy although we also have projects looking at the toxic neuropathies that are side effects of certain cancer drugs and at models of HIV-associated peripheral neuropathy. We have adopted a multi-disciplinary approach to addressing the etiology of diabetic neuropathy and apply a diverse array of techniques that range from molecular and biochemical investigations of fundamental disease mechanisms to physiologic and behavioral assessments of nerve function and the efficacy of potential therapeutic strategies. We also collaborate with a number of biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies, so that the etiologic mechanisms that we propose can be tested by rational drug design and in vivo pharmacology and ultimately by clinical trials. Students wishing to work in my laboratory must want to appreciate the full spectrum of a disease process and be flexible enough to answer research questions by application of a range of experimental techniques.
- Calcutt NA, Allendoerfer KL, Mizisin AP, Middlemas A, Freshwater JD, Burgers M, Ranciato R, Delcroix JD, Taylor FR, Shapiro R, Strauch K, Dudek H, Engber TM, Galdes A, Rubin LL, Tomlinson DR. Therapeutic efficacy of sonic hedgehog protein in experimental diabetic neuropathy. J Clin Invest. 2003 111:507-514.
- Mizisin AP, Vu Y, Shuff M, Calcutt NA. Ciliary neurotrophic factor improves nerve conduction and ameliorates regeneration deficits in diabetic rats. Diabetes. 2004 53:1807-1812.
- Jolivalt CG, Ramos KM, Herbetsson K, Esch FS, Calcutt NA. Therapeutic efficacy of prosaposin-derived peptide on different models of allodynia. Pain. 2006 121:14-21.
- Calcutt NA, Freshwater JD, Hauptmann N, Taylor EM, Mizisin AP. Protection of sensory function in diabetic rats by Neotrofin. Eur J Pharmacol. 2006 534:187-193.
- Jolivalt CG, Jiang Y, Freshwater JD, Bartoszyk GD, Calcutt NA. Dynorphin A, kappa opioid receptors and the antinociceptive efficacy of asimadoline. Click here to search for Dr. Calcutt's publications
Nigel Calcutt received his Bachelor of Science degree in Zoology in 1985 and his Doctor of Philosophy degree in Physiology and Pharmacology in 1988, both from the University of Nottingham. He was then a Postdoc Fellow in Pharmacology at St. Bartholomews Hospital, University of London, UK. Dr. Calcutt was appointed in 1993 as Assistant Adjunct Professor of Pathology at UCSD. He was promoted to Professor in July 2005.Click here to contact me
Section 'Sub' Navigation:
Page 'Breadcrumb' Navigation: